“When Adam and Eve fell, they relinquished rulership of the earth to Satan, a fallen angelic being. Spiritual warfare is the reversal of that procedure. It is the unseen power encounter between the kingdom of God and the kingdom of darkness. Through prayer, fasting and exercising the authority of Christ and His cross, believers indwelt and empowered by the Holy Spirit are forcing angelic beings to relinquish rulership of the earth!” Eddie and Alice Smith
The enemy does not like intercession because we exercise our authority in Christ when we pray. It is one of the greatest things he will attack. I have been to so many prayer meetings over the years that were stopped or hindered because of enemy attack.
Let us realize that our fight is not against flesh and blood. It is an attack in the spiritual realm and is an unseen power encounter between two kingdoms. The enemy is on an all out attack to stop prayer, because he knows that there is power in intercession. There is power in even one intercessor that knows his/her authority in prayer. Please do not take your prayers and intercession as a small ministry of no importance. The enemy knows full well how mighty you are in pulling down his strongholds, and he will try to intimidate, discourage, divide, or defeat you.
“Doubt. Deception. Discouragement. Division. It’s time for the church to stop accepting these enemy strikes as natural. Spiritual warfare is a reality that the church must face. It won’t go away on its own – but it can be dealt with through prayer.”
Below are ways you can personally maintain victory in spiritual warfare through prayer. I am especially emphasizing warfare in the area of relationships in our lives. This has to do with how we see God, how we see ourselves, and how we see and relate to others. Many times we are blinded to the ways that the enemy is trying to get us. I find that these reminders are extremely helpful when I am under attack. They may seem basic, but they have huge significance and perhaps are the greatest hindrances to the enemy’s success in defeating us.
“The church must do all it can to protect unity and destroy division. A local congregation becomes well prepared to resist the enemy when, finding itself in a conflict, people begin to ask the question, ‘What is the enemy trying to do here?’ Then, turning to the Lord, each asks an even more important question: ‘Lord, how do we counter these attacks of divisiveness against your people?'”
How to Maintain Victory in Warfare
- Love God with all your heart, and abide in Him – I find that loving God is the most important thing in life. I am personally, by nature, a warrior but my relationship with God is the best antidote against the enemies flaming missiles. We must know God intimately, and abide in that intimacy. “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you” (John 15:7).
- Know in your heart the sovereignty and greatness of God – Speak out the attributes of God, and praise him daily. Worship is a powerful form of warfare. “Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God” (Philippians 2:9-11).
- Know your identity in Christ – Your identity in Christ is the enemy’s strategy of attack against you. Know in your heart God’s incredible love for you. You are the beloved of God, a royal priest, the apple of God’s eye, etc. Remind yourself of these things. “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:13-14).
- Depend on God’s wisdom and not your own – Understand the ways of God, and rely on His sufficiency. “I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better” (Ephesians 1:17).
- Know God’s Word as your weapons against the enemy’s lies – The Bible is your main defensive, for it is the truth that sets free. Pick up your shield of faith, and protect your mind with the helmet of salvation. Speak out truth and faith. Strongholds come in through the mind, and God’s Word is a mighty weapon against them. “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:32).
- Grow in holiness and humility – Humility enables you to receive the grace of God. It is opposite of the enemy. When you are submitted to God, the enemy flees. “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship” (Romans 12:1).
- Guard your relationships, and practice peace and love – Know the power of words, and watch your tongue carefully. Speak life words of peace and love rather than death words. Watch all criticism. “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves” (Romans 12:9-10).
- Forgive quickly, and walk in unity – Learn to forgive quickly, and bless others. We can have no authority over a nation, city, or area when we have unforgiveness in our hearts. Release forgiveness and blessings to all. “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them together in perfect unity” (Colossians 3:13-14).
- Grow in the area of prayer and fasting – Learn to exercise the authority you have in Christ. Extended times in prayer and fasting increase spiritual authority. You are seated with Christ.
“And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus” (Ephesians 2:6).
The uniting and training of intercessors will have a dramatic effect in bringing in the world harvest. It is as we unite together that God can bring great breakthrough against the powers of darkness. Each of us need others to pray for us personally as we are involved in the ministry of intercession. Let we pray the above for all intercessors and their churches. It would even a greater benefit to you personally if you would memorize these verses. Additional verses to study about spiritual warfare are in Ephesians 6:10-20.
The real danger for us is not the enemy’s schemes, but being unaware of them – and thus, unprotected from them. We tend to approach difficulties in the church as though they are ‘natural’ things. But when churches divide over whether to use hymns or contemporary choruses, it’s not natural. When a flock turns on its shepherd, it’s not natural. When saints, called to live in love and peace, spend their time criticizing and accusing one another, it’s not natural. The devil has come to church.” Unnamed quotes by David Butts
By Debbie Przybylski
Intercessors Arise International