“God’s purpose may be thwarted or it may be accomplished depending, to one degree or another, on the obedience of His people and their willingness to use the weapons of spiritual warfare that He has provided. God is powerful enough to win any battle, but He has designed things so that the release of His power at a given moment of time often is contingent upon the decisions and the actions of His people. A principle weapon of spiritual warfare is prayer. Not just routine or mediocre prayer, but prayer powerful enough to move God’s hand in order to determine the destiny of a whole nation.” C. Peter Wagner
If we are involved in intercession, then we are working with God to determine the future. Certain things in history will happen through our intercession if we pray the way God wants us to pray. We have authority in prayer to actually see our cities changed. In many ways history belongs to the intercessors. When we pray, things happen in the spirit realm. God remembers every prayer we pray, and every one of them prayed through the power of the Holy Spirit has effect on earth. Not one prayer is forgotten.
Last year when I was in a particular city in Turkey, I remembered a prayer I had prayed in that very city several years before. It was as if at that moment, God showed me that He had remembered my prayers from several years before, and that it was extremely important and would have a powerful effect in that city one day.
“Prayer is power and strength, a power and strength that influences God, and is most salutary, widespread, and marvelous in its gracious benefits to man. Prayer influences God. The ability of God to do for man is the measure of the possibility of prayer.” E. M. Bounds
The prayers you pray influence God. He remembers every single one of them. Do not ever think that God hasn’t heard you or that your prayers do not matter. One day you will see that they have mighty effect in the spiritual realm. Do not give up or think it is not important to pray today. If ever there was a need for intercession, it is now. We are in a key (kairos) time in all of history. The Greek word “kairos” in the New Testament means the appointed or opportune time that God has set for something to occur. During a kairos time, we must respond in prayer and press through in intercession in order to see God’s plan fulfilled.
We are in a time of opportunity, and we must seize it in prayer. This is the appointed season for change and for intercession to increase. We must not fear the future. Instead, we must know our authority in prayer to see powerful change on earth.
We can pray God’s future plan into being through our intercession.
“This is a kairos time for God’s people to understand authority, for authority is the key to power. This is a time for us to deal with the spirit of fear that has imbedded itself into the heart of the church. The spirit of fear creates an unsound mind, it weakens power, and it negates love. God has given us an awesome responsibility… But, as we see through history, God makes the fulfillment of His desire contingent on the obedience of His people. Apostles, prophets, and intercessors play a crucial role. If the apostles, acting on the word delivered through the prophets, effectively mobilize the intercessors, and if the intercessors, in turn, enter into powerful, strategic, prophetic intercession, we in the body of Christ will truly be praying the future into being. It will be God’s best future for us, and our nation(s) will be blessed as never before.” Chuck Pierce
Pray for Your City
“Millions of feeble, sickly Christians, thousands of wearied workers, could be blessed by intercession. Churches and missions sacrificing life and labor with little result often lack the power of intercession. Souls, each one worth more than worlds – worth nothing less than the price paid for them in Christ’s blood – are within reach of the power that can be won by intercession. We surely have no conception of the magnitude of the work to be done by God’s intercessors, or we would cry to God above everything to give us a spirit of intercession.” Andrew Murray
How can you be the history maker for God’s purposes in your city? Below are some ways you can pray for your city and make a difference. You may want to pray these prayers for your nation, church or neighborhood as well. Know the areas where God wants you to intercede, because He will give you authority in those areas. God is seeking for intercessors. He will accomplish His will through the prayers of His people on earth.
- Pray that a spirit of intercession falls on your city – If intercessors cry out for a spirit of intercession to invade their city, people will change and prayer will increase. Christians who had never felt like praying before will begin to pray. Prayer can be activated in your city.
- Pray for corporate worship and prayer to arise in your city – Pray that the church begins to come together in corporate worship and prayer. United worship tears down the powers of darkness in your city. Pray for state gatherings of worship and 24/7 Houses of Prayer to be raised up.
- Pray for the key authority structures and spiritual leaders in your city – Pray for all pastors and government leaders. Pray for faith, wisdom and holiness in the leaders in your city. Pray that God will help them to lead His people into holy living in difficult times.
- Pray for God to reveal the lawless structures in your city – Pray that all terrorist plans and evil hidden plans will be exposed in your city and nation. Pray that unjust laws will be overturned. Pray for Godly rulers in your nation to be elected and put into place.
- Pray for the church in your city to be empowered by God – Pray for the churches to arise in prayer, godliness and spiritual strength. Pray that the Church becomes a light to the lost in your city.
- Pray for God to remove complacency in your city – Pray that the churches in your city becomes fervent and on fire for God and His ways. Pray that complacency stops and that the Church awakes to its destiny and calling in the last days.
“God seeks intercessors. He longs to dispense larger blessings. He longs to reveal His power and glory as God, His saving love, and more abundantly. He seeks intercessors in larger numbers, in greater power, to prepare the way of the Lord.” Andrew Murray
History belongs to the intercessors. Your city needs intercessors that will cry out to Him day and night with great boldness and expectation. God is seeking for intercessors. Will you be one?
“God seeks intercessors. He sends His servants out to call them. Let ministers make this a part of their duties. Let them make their church a training school of intercession. Give the people definite objects for prayer. Encourage them to make a definite time for it, even if it is only ten minutes every day. Help them to understand the boldness they may use with God. Teach them to expect and look for answers. Show them what it is first to pray and get an answer in secret, and then carry the answer and impart the blessing. Tell everyone who is master of his own time that he is as the angels: free to tarry before the throne and then go out and minister to the heirs of salvation. Sound out the blessed tidings that this honor is for all God’s people.” Andrew Murray
By Debbie Przybylski
Intercessors Arise International