”Take from our lives the strain and stress, and let our ordered lives confess the beauty of thy peace.”
Although the stress factors in the world are rising at an alarming rate, God can teach us to walk in His peace. There is a way to handle stress God’s way. Jesus always walked in peace. He was gentle, submissive and a humble servant. We can learn the same. It may be challenging to learn to walk in God’s peace, but this is the testimony that will speak to the world loudly. This may sound simplistic but it takes a lifetime to learn. Pray that God helps you to apply this to your life.
“Jesus was subjected to all kinds of stress and strain, yet He never showed the slightest sign of abnormal mental tension.”
How to Handle Stress
“Peace, I leave with you; My (own) peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled; neither let them be afraid. (Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled)” (John 14:27, Amplified).
- Learn to submit to God – Priority must be given to walking in the Spirit. God wants us to walk in total submission. We can commit ourselves to the Great Physician. He is able to restore peace to our personality because His will is that we walk in peace. My personality is a challenge to a peaceful lifestyle because I am a Type A, active individual. But God’s will is that we are restful and peaceful regardless of our personalities or family background. God can get to the underlying causes of tension in our life. But we must learn to submit, be totally honest with God, and wait upon Him. God shows us areas of stress in our personalities where there is conflict or rebellion. As we yield to Him, we can find increasing rest. “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship” (Romans 12:1).
- Be aware of Satan’s attacks in your life – Know yourself and the ways the enemy attacks your life. He will look for open doors and will attack you in the area of strongholds and false beliefs. Learn to resist him and stand firm in your faith. Stay in the Word of God for this is the way to combat his lies. Satan accuses in order to bring us to condemnation and despair. God convicts so that we can confess and be restored. Satan tries to bring doubt, and he opposes any discovery of stress in your life. Expect a battle when you are trying to deal with the root causes of stress. “In order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes” (2 Corinthians 2:11).
- Identify sin and confess it – We have deceitful hearts that do not easily see the truth. We need to confess sin in our life. You can always know the maturity level of an individual by looking at the length of time between sinning and confessing it as sin. Anxiety had been a big problem in my life, and I had to realize that it was sin because I wasn’t fully trusting God. I needed to confess it as sin. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).
- Realize that God only intends that you do His will – Many of us are involved in too many activities and think we have to be busy all the time. We need to set appropriate limits on our activities, and pray through what we are doing. The greatest competitor to yieldedness to Christ is service for Him. God wants us to alternate between work and rest. When I was 25 years old and serving God on the mission field, I did not understand this lesson and finally got so exhausted that I had to rest for three months! We must learn balance. Pacing yourself is a key to maturity. “…continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose” (Philippians 2:12-13).
- Realize that God is sufficient – He is sufficient for anything we face in the end times. He is sovereign and can cope with the hidden fears in our heart. Accept your circumstances as being allowed by God and trust in Him. Even if Satan brings something into your life, realize that God has allowed it for a purpose. In 2005 I had breast cancer. God used it in my life to bring me to a new level in my walk with Him, and I am grateful. God has provided all that we need to make it through victoriously. “When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid” (Psalm 56:2-3).
- Take good care of your body – Eat healthy, and get into a good vitamin supplement program. Our environment no longer provides all that we need in healthy food. We need to help our bodies through the use of additional supplements. Exercise regularly even if it seems to take time. You will always gain in the end and you will feel better. If you would like to know of very good health supplements that could help your sense of overall well-being and that can also help to reduce stress, watch the health video in this section. “Dear friends, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well” (3 John 2).
God desires that we handle stress His way. He wants us to walk in peace. Even in the midst of hurricanes, earthquakes, terrorism, and continuous change, we can learn to walk in peace just as Jesus did. Facing the Cross was the most stressful experience there ever was. Jesus has gone before us. He knows what it is like to live in a stressful world. He has provided all that we need.
Lord, we pray that You will teach us to submit totally to Your will and ways in our life. Make us aware of the ways the enemy tries to invade our lives with stress and strongholds. Make us aware of any sin in our life that is keeping us from peace and a deeper relationship with You. Help us to do Your will. Remove the activities from our life that are unnecessary and are not Your will for us. We confess and repent of anxiety and fear. We choose to walk in Your perfect peace. Help us to take care of our bodies through eating healthy and exercising. We know that You are sufficient in every situation, and we accept our present circumstances joyfully. Help us to exhibit Your fruit. You have overcome the world, and we thank you for this. Teach us to be like you, and bring us into Your peace. We choose to rejoice because you have overcome the world. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.
“I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have perfect peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer (take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted)! For I have overcome the world. (I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you” (John 16:33, Amplified).
Health Arise Articles
- Fruits and Vegetables in Abundance
- God’s Peace in a Stressful World
- Health and Healing Scriptures
- Health and the Battlefield of the Mind
- How to Handle Stress God’s Way
- Natural Health Remedies and Cures
- Recharging Your Emotional Battery
- Sowing Good Health in our Family Line
- Sugars that Heal
- Understanding Stress in Your Life