“Prayer is the match that lights the fuse to release the explosive power of the Holy Spirit in the affairs of men.”
Invite Jesus into your Neighborhood
- I – Imitate Christ – “What would Jesus do?”He will give you creative ways to serve people you are praying for in order to display His love in a practical way.
- N – Name individuals and their needs specifically in prayer.God wants us to be specific. Use the “bless’ method. He gives specific answers to specific prayer.
- V – Voice your praise, concern and the Word of God over your neighborhood.Proclaiming praise over your neighborhood closes the door to darkness and opens wide the door to the Holy Spirit.
- I – Initiate friendship and identify with your neighbors.See with God’s eyes that people are lonely, lost and like sheep without a shepherd. Identify with the sorrows and wrongs in your neighborhood and city.
- T – Tell others the good news.Look for open doors and share when God gives you the opportunity. Present the gospel in a sensitive way and in total dependence on Him.
- E – Expect God to move in miraculous power.
“Prayer evangelism is highly specialized prayer for a miracle to come into the life of someone who doesn’t believe Jesus is God so that miracle will cause the person to believe Jesus is God and so come to the Father.” Ed Silvoso
By Debbie Przybylski
Intercessors Arise International
“Prayer is the key to reaching the world with the Gospel of Jesus.
The greatest forces of power in the universe are mobi-lized, and history
is made when we pray. God is looking for men and women
who will stand in the gap on behalf of the land.”
Ezekiel 22:30, Isaiah 59:16, 63:5
There are three essential elements of a Lighthouse of Prayer lifestyle:
Prayer, Care, Share. Firstly, we want to pray for individuals and families in our communities. Secondly, we want to show that we care through acts of kindness. Thirdly, these two combined will open opportunities to share our hope in Christ.
- Begin praying for a few neighbors you know who do not know Christ – Then start praying for them. You may choose to find a Christian friend or two to pray with.
- Make a simple map of your neighborhood – You may choose your school or place of employment.
- Identify your neighbors by name – Add your neighbor’s names to the map as you begin to identify them.
- Begin prayerwalking your neighborhood – Walk and pray through your neighborhood, or pray around your map for your neighbors while at home.
- Pray regularly as you learn more about your neighbors – Continue to add information to your prayer map. You may want to add children’s names, etc.
God gets people’s attention when He answers prayer. We recommend that Lighthouse individuals select from five to twenty people who are not presently in Christian fellowship.A simple means of praying is to make a commitment to pray for:
1) 5 people
2) 5 weeks
3) 5 minutes a day
4) 5 days a week
5 requestsThis 5 by 5 plan allows even busy people a way to strategically minister to their neighbors.
The five requests are based on the accrostic B-L-E-S-S.
B – Body – For health, safety, and physical needs.
L – Labors – For the success and prospering of their work and/or studies (Jeremiah 29:7).
E – Emotions – For peace and joy to replace fear and anxiety (Matthew 10:13).
S – Social life – For families to function well together and in their community.
S – Salvation – For each to understand salvation in Jesus Christ and grow in their spiritual lives.
- Be friendly – Greet the people on your list and others God sends across your path. Cultivate friendliness. Many people are very lonely. One quick wave or “hi” may be their only contact with anyone all day or week.
- Build relationships – Allow yourself time to be outside in your yard when neighbors are usually out. In an apartment, be friendly while checking your mail or doing the laundry.
- Be ready to listen – People need to know that you care about what is important to them.
- Watch for needs they have or share – Let them know you will pray for them.
- Be quick to reach out with “random acts of kindness” – Pick up trash on their lawn, put their paper by the door, or do anything that you see to do.
- Invite a neighbor in whenever they stop by – Openness will make you a real friend.
- Seek natural opportunities to share your faith in Christ – Share a portion of God’s Word when appropriate. Pray and ask God for the right timing and when to share more.
- Be prepared to share some material with them – The Jesus video, simple devotional guides, non-threatening tracts, etc. are excellent materials to leave with them.
- Know that God may give you an opportunity to share your personal testimony – Make sure that you are ready to share a testimony of how Christ has changed your life.
- Tell the people you are praying for about any Christian events they can attend – It may be a Bible study, Christian women or men’s luncheon, church event, etc. Invite them to attend with you.
- Take your time – Know that God will lead you.
For more information, see the Lighthouse Movement website.