New Testament Apostolic Prayers of Jesus, Peter & John
The Apostolic Prayers of Jesus
“Consider the Apostle…of our confession, Christ Jesus.” (Hebrews 3:1)
- The Lord’s Prayer. “In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name. YOUR KINGDOM COME. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. GIVE US this day our daily bread. And FORGIVE US our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And DO NOT LEAD US into temptation, but DELIVER US from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen” (Matthew 6:9-13).
- Prayer for anointed laborers in the Harvest. “Then He said to His disciples, ‘The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore PRAY THE LORD OF THE HARVEST TO SEND OUT LABORERS into His harvest'” (Matthew 9:37-38; Luke 10:2).
- Prayer for the release of the Holy Spirit’s ministry. “If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, HOW MUCH MORE WILL YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER GIVE THE HOLY SPIRIT TO THOSE WHO ASK HIM!” (Luke 11:13)
- Prayer of strength in temptation. “Then He came to the disciple, ‘What? Could you not watch with Me one hour? Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation'” (Matthew 26:40-41) .
Jesus’ High Priestly Prayer – John 17
- Jesus prays to keep the saints in the Father’s name. “I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are” (John 17:11).
- Jesus prays to keep the saints from the evil one. “I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one” (John 17:15).
- Jesus prays that the saints might be sanctified by truth. “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth” (John 17:17).
- Jesus prays that the saints would experience the fulness of God’s glory. “that they ALL MAY BE ONE, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also MAY BE ONE IN US, that the world may believe that You sent Me. The glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they MAY BE ONE JUST AS WE ARE ONE: I in them, and You in Me; that they MAY BE MADE PERFECT IN ONE, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them AS You have loved Me. Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, THAT THEY MAY BEHOLD MY GLORY which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. And I have declared to them Your name, and WILL DECLARE IT, THAT THE LOVE WITH WHICH YOU LOVED ME MAY BE IN THEM, and I in them” (John 17:21-26).
The Apostolic Prayer of Peter and John
- Prayer for the impartation of Holy Spirit boldness through the release of signs and wonders. “they raised their voice to God with one accord and said: ‘Lord, You are God, who made heaven and earth and the sea, and all that is in them, who by the mouth of Your servant David have said: Why did the nations rage, and the people plot vain things? The kings of the earth took their stand, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord and against His Christ. For truly against Your holy Servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, were gathered together to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose determined before to be done. Now, Lord, look on their threats, and GRANT TO YOUR SERVANTS THAT WITH ALL BOLDNESS THEY MAY SPEAK YOUR WORD, BY STRETCHING OUT YOUR HAND TO HEAL, AND THAT SIGNS AND WONDERS MAY BE DONE through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus. And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness” (Acts 4:24-31, Ephesians 6:19).