1. The vital place of making melody and singing from the heart in Spirit filled living.
“…be filled with the Spirit, (by) speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and SPIRITUAL SONGS, SINGING AND MAKING MELODY IN YOUR HEART to the Lord . . .” (Eph. 5:18-19).
- The necessity of singing the Word in our spiritual songs.
“Let the WORD OF CHRIST dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and SPIRITUAL SONGS, SINGING WITH GRACE IN YOUR HEARTS to the Lord.”
- The central role of singing with our spirit (singing in the Spirit). Note its value and importance in the apostle Paul’s life.
“For if I pray in a tongue, MY SPIRIT PRAYS, but my understanding is unfruitful. I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I WILL SING WITH THE SPIRIT, and I will also sing with the understanding” (1 Corinthians 14:14-16).
- The necessity of praying in the Spirit with all perseverance.
“…praying ALWAYS with ALL PRAYER and supplication IN THE SPIRIT, being watchful to this end with ALL PERSEVERANCE and supplication FOR ALL the saints” (Ephesians 6:18).
- The central role of singing the Word in the spiritual songs in the Tabernacle of David in the Old Testament.
King Hezekiah and the leaders commanded the Levites to sing praise to the lord WITH THE WORDS OF DAVID AND OF ASAPH the seer. So they sang praises with gladness (2 Chronicles 29:30).